When you arrive in the port of Izmir, your private guide will be waiting to lead you to your private vehicle. From Izmir, you travel south east to Ephesus, passing the Byzantine Fortress at Selcuk, the ruins of the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of Ancient World, and St. John’s Basilica. We will enter the magnificent city through the Magnesia Gate and begin a slow, downhill walk with your guide into the ruins of this Roman provincial capital. The route will take you past the Odeon, the Celsus Library, the Temple of Hadrian, the Fountain of Trajan and the Great Theater. Your guide will tell you about the architectural importance of these sites, as well as historical Roman events that took place there. The Theater had seating for 25,000, was the site where St. Paul preached to the Ephesians, and is used today for a local spring festival.
You will then visit the House of the Virgin Mary, where Mary spent the last days of her life. The house was discovered in the 19th century after the repeated visions of a Catholic nun, Anne Catherine Emmerich, were published in a book. When the ruins of the house were discovered, a small shrine dedicated to St Mary was found there. The Vatican has recognized this small house in the Solmissos Mountains as the final resting place of the Virgin Mary.
After all the visits, we will return to the port of Izmir.
Inclusions & Remarks
- Pick-up & drop-off at the port of Izmir
- Transportation in a fully air-conditioned, non-smoking private vehicle
- Fully escorted by a professional tour guide
- Entrance fees at the sites mentioned
- Lunch at a local restaurant.
- Walking at the House of Virgin Mary includes approximately 0.50 mile over mostly paved walkways with some inclines to/from the car parking area to the shrine.
- Visiting Ephesus Participants must be able to walk approximately 1 mile over uneven and cobblestone surfaces, inclines and steps, continually standing up and walking up and down. Sunblock is recommended.
- Tour guide is English-speaking by default. If it is demanded, other languages are available for private groups or individual arrangements. Other language guides may cost extra.
- Children 0-7 are free.
- Please confirm the days in which the above locations/sights are open before making a booking for that particular day.
- We kindly request our guests to be ready 15 minutes from your departure time.