When you arrive in the port of Izmir, your private guide will be waiting to lead you to your private vehicle. From Izmir, you travel north to Pergamon (also spelled Pergamum), built on a conical hill well above sea level, home to two of Turkey’s most celebrated archaeological sites: Pergamum acropolis, and the medical center of Asclepion. Both are listed among the top 100 historical sites in the Mediterranean. We will see the famed library, the terrace of the spectacularly sited hillside theater, the main palace, and the Altar of Zeus.
Afterwards, we will see the propylaeum of the Temple of Athena. In early Christianity, Pergamum’s church was a major center of the Christian faith, and was one of the Seven Churches of Revelation.
Asclepion (also spelled Asclepium), the birthplace of Galen, was a center of medicine in the ancient world; the teachings of which have dominated Europe from 2nd Century AD up until Renaissance.
After all the visits, we will return to the port of Izmir.
Inclusions & Remarks
- Pick-up & drop-off at the port of Izmir
- Transportation in a fully air-conditioned, non-smoking private vehicle
- Fully escorted by a professional tour guide
- Entrance fees at the sites mentioned
- Lunch at a local restaurant.
- Visiting Participants of Pergamon and Asclepion must be able to walk approximately 1 mile over uneven and cobblestone surfaces, inclines and steps, continually standing up and walking up and down. Sunblock is recommended.
- Tour guide is English-speaking by default. If it is demanded, other languages are available for private groups or individual arrangements. Other language guides may cost extra.
- Children 0-7 are free.
- Please confirm the days in which the above locations/sights are open before making a booking for that particular day.
- We kindly request our guests to be ready 15 minutes from your departure time.